Call for Scripts
We are currently inviting submissions for a performance project to take place in November 2019. We would like to feature new writing and are interested in finding a play (or two shorter plays) on the theme of women’s empowerment.
The show will be performed in up to ten theatres around East Kent, and all profits from the tour will be donated to a local charity which supports women. This is an opportunity for a writer to help contribute to a worthy cause, and to develop a piece of writing that they can later use elsewhere. This is not a paid opportunity. All cast and crew will be donating their time to the project.
The brief is as follows:
- The script must be in English
- Playing time must be at least thirty minutes and not more than ninety minutes.
- Maximum of four actors
- No upper age limit
- Lower age limit – playing age none, actual age 18
- No multimedia
- Simple set (no fixed constructions)
We are actively seeking something that is experimental and / or experiential. We are happy to work closely with the selected writer(s) to develop the piece further if needed.
Closing date for submissions: midnight on 30th September 2018.
How to submit:
- Please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the subject line of the email, put ‘RSProject’
- In the body of the email, please give us your name, contact details, the title of the play, and the approximate running time.
- Attach the script (preferably as a .pdf).
- Formatting the script:
- Front page should contain the title of play, approx. running time, and character list.
- We don’t mind which formatting convention you follow for the body of the play – as long as it is clear whether we are looking at a character name, a stage direction, or dialogue, and your formatting remains consistent throughout the script.
- Do not include your name or other identifying information anywhere on the script.
About Phoebus Fire
Phoebus Fire, based in East Kent, was incorporated as a Community Interest Company in 2016. Our aim is to use performance to raise money and / or awareness on behalf of local charities and community organisations. We do this in two ways: firstly, through partnership with local organisations to put on murder mystery evenings; secondly, through major projects that we undertake on behalf of a chosen charity.
In the last two years we have performed five different mysteries, for thirteen different organisations, some of whom have had repeat bookings with us. We have one more show scheduled for this year (2018) which has attracted eight bookings from new and returning organisations as we are becoming better known throughout the area.
Last year (2017) we took Shakespeare’s The Tempest on tour around East Kent to raise money for Catching Lives, the local homelessness charity. Several of the shows were sold out, and not only did we raise more than £3,000.00 but also raised awareness, took donations of food, toiletries etc, and recruited a couple of new volunteers.
Building on this success, we anticipate a bigger and better tour for this next project – more venues, bigger audiences, and more money for the chosen charity.